Dr. Ricardo Aguiar's lab is centered on the identification and functional characterization of the genetic abnormalities found in hematologic malignancies. His group utilizes in vitro and in vivo systems, in genome-wide or focused studies, with the intent of translating these discoveries into clinical initiatives. The principal disease model of the Aguiar lab is B-cell lymphoma. Active research lines stem from our recently published work and include: a) Phosphodiesterase 4 (PDE4) as an actionable therapeutic target in mature B cell malignancies; b) Metabolic imbalance, alpha-ketoglutarate and lymphoma biology; c) Transcription factor IRF8 and lymphomagenesis.
1) Elkashef SM, Lin AP, Myers J, Sill H, Jiang D, Dahia PLM, Aguiar RCT. IDH Mutation, Competitive Inhibition of FTO, and RNA Methylation. Cancer Cell, 31:619-620, 2017.
2) Kelly K, Mejia A, Suhasini AN, Lin AP, Kuhn J, Karnad AB, Weitman S, Aguiar RCT. Safety and Pharmacodynamics of the PDE4 Inhibitor Roflumilast in Advanced B-cell Malignancies. Clin Cancer Res. 23:1186-1192, 2017
3) Suhasini AN, Wang L, Holder KN, Lin AP, Bhatnagar H, Kim SW, Moritz AW, Aguiar RCT. A phosphodiesterase 4B-dependent interplay between tumor cells and the microenvironment regulates angiogenesis in B-cell lymphoma. Leukemia, 30:617-26, 2016
4) Cooney JD, Aguiar RCT. Phosphodiesterase 4 inhibitors have wide-ranging activity in B-cell malignancies. Blood. 128:2886-2890, 2016
5) Lin A-P, Abbas S, Kim S-W, Ortega M, Bouamar H, Escobedo Y, Varadarajan P, Qin Y, Sudderth J, Schulz E, Deutsch A, Mohan S, Ulz P, Neumeister P, Rakheja D, Gao X, Hinck A, Weintraub S, DeBerardinis R, Sill H, Dahia PLM and Aguiar RCT. D2HGDH regulates α-alpha-ketoglutarate levels and dioxygenases function by modulating IDH2. Nature Communications, 6:7768, 2015.
6). Bouamar H, Abbas S, Lin AP, Wang L, Jiang D, Holder K, Kinney M, Hunicke-Smith S, Aguiar RC. A capture-sequencing strategy identifies IRF8, EBF1 and APRIL as novel IGH fusion partners in B-cell lymphoma. Blood, 122:726-33, 2013.