Author: GSBS | Category: Opportunities | January 18, 2018
The American Association for the Advancement in Science (AAAS) has a exciting full-time opportunity for a Community Engagement Manager in their Washington, DC office.
This individual will be the catalyst for the NSF INCLUDES Open Forum community and work to expand the reach of the program by establishing and executing content and engagement strategies.
INCLUDES is an initiative run by the National Science Foundation which aims to broaden science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM) participation programs to reach underserved populations around the United Stated. This is a great opportunity for a strong communicator with an interest in making an impact on diversity and inclusion within the STEM fields.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Devise a content strategy of regular updates for the NSF INCLUDES Open Forum – which may include member spotlights, news summaries, journal clubs, synthesis of archive material, etc.
- Create and source all content for the community in its inception period
- Identify and communicate with broadening participation professionals in a variety of settings to encourage them to join the Open Forum
- Host webinars and other onboarding activities such as welcome threads and skills shares to welcome and integrate new members on a regular basis
- Respond to inquiries from members which may include technical questions, offers of expertise, and requests for content development
- Moderate conversations for civility and relevance – encouraging a diversity of input and creating a respectful environment for productive discussion
- Oversee the selection and day-to-day support of a small team of part-time Community Leaders to manage topical sub-groups – including assisting in their training as community engagement managers
- Report on engagement metrics for the groups on a regular basis, devising appropriate changes in content strategy as the community matures
- Additional duties as assigned
- Minimum of a Master’s degree required; degree in a science, communications, or education related discipline preferred
- 3- 5 years of strategic communications experience, including online content creation and synthesis of materials
- Experience managing content for professional social media accounts and/or blogs
- Knowledge or experience in broadening participation activities within STEM a plus
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to manage a variety of tasks simultaneously, set priorities for multiple projects, meet deadlines under pressure, and work both independently and as part of a team
- Comfortable resolving technical challenges and explaining them to others
- Strong attention to detail and problem-solving abilities
Interested candidates should submit a resume and brief cover letter outlining qualifications and interest in the position by February 10, 2018. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. If we think you might be a good fit for the role, we will contact you with next steps. Click here for more information and to apply.
Copyright © 2018 The University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio
Links provided from the UTHSCSA pages to other websites do not constitute or imply an endorsement of those sites, their content, or products and services associated with those sites.